“The Club is organized to provide a structured organization for the purpose of promoting running as a sport and healthy lifestyle within our community. In furtherance of our purpose, the Club hosts group runs, fun runs, training runs and programs on the road and/or track, hosts education lectures about topics of interest for runners, provides awards for club members, hosts social events for members, and all such other things as may be conducive to the encouragement of running. The Club also engages in community activities, to publicize by appropriate means, the benefits of running as a means of physical fitness to improve the health status of people in our community. “
The Ocala Runner’s Club hopes to be a staple in Ocala’s running community. In the past few weeks we have come up with some goals to help further our cause and promote running in our great city. Below are a few of the things we have been working on.
The club has partnered up with the organizers of the Big Hammock Race Series (Tina Banner, Karen Donnelly, and Darrin DeTorres) to help put together a Grand Prix type circuit. Participants in the BHRS have an oppurtunity to score some awesome race bling, and earn points towards an award in their Age Group! Ocala Runner’s Club members have the opportunity to enroll in the series for free, with a paid membership by or before 8/15/15. Sign up for a club membership today!
Short Term Goals
1) Addition of a Common Start Line, Finish Line, and mile markers at the Baseline Trail Head.
- This week (6/5/15) the runners club will be working with Jim Shields of Milestone Race Authority to recertify a 5k course out at Baseline. We will then submit a proposal to the county to place permanent markers at the park, with hopes new and existing races will all use a common and accurate course. Estimated cost to complete this project will be in the $300-$400 range.
2)Build on the existing membership base in hopes of creating a volunteer network for existing and future races.
- Although the club has been around for over 30 years, we consider ourselves to be in infancy period. Most of the club races were sold off, or abandoned as membership levels dropped and we are just now starting to see people join again. The goal is to provide volunteers to local races in exchange for a race discount for existing ORC members. Races who provide a discount will be given free advertising on the Ocala Runners Club web site and Facebook page.
Long Term Goals
1) Build a rubber track for community and club use.
- We have been in contact with the county and there is hopes that they might resurface the Brick City Adventure Park track. There is currently construction going on at the park, so they have tabled all talks until the construction is completed. In the mean time the club still hopes to start the fundraising process. If they do decided to resurface Brick City it will cost an estimated $100,000, if not a project to build a new track can be more than 10x that amount!
2) Create more compelling races for the running community
- We understand that fundraising is hard, and people have many options of where they can spend their money. The club hopes to create a few new races that might help raise money for some of our dream projects. Stay tuned as we are currently exploring a few dates and venues.
For information on how to donate to the club, please contact Darrin DeTorres at firstname.lastname@example.org.